Translate

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Motorbiking to Mysore

Mysore the cultural capital of Karnataka, one of the most beautiful cities in India, I've been here on several occasions but always wanted to ride to it......
I had my dear friend Jonathan come down from Pune to accompany me, It was Jonathan's first time in Karnataka so it was only fitting that we visit Mysore. I was at the time working in Mangalore. 
We planned the ride on the 7th of june, the only problem about getting to mysore was that we would have to do it on an ancient 150cc motorbike which needless to say could roll over and die at any moment. So just in case I had it serviced and decided to take a leap of faith, Praying that my once lovely Suzuki Fiero would survive. It was the beginning of the monsoon and we knew the roads were gonna be pretty bad. Its a short ride of about 260Km from mangalore along the Madikeri route through some beautiful landscapes. I had cousins who had a home in Mysore so food and accommodation was taken care of. We packed the bare minimum and headed out.


The roads were nice to begin with and gradually worsened, our first stop would be in Madikeri, but we did stop in between just after the town of Sullia for a dip in the creek. The creek is a little hard to spot, the first time i saw the creek was in 2010 when we went for our university cricket tournament, since then its been a regular stop on the way to Mysore. Its a nice little break to cool your tired heels so i decided that Jonathan should see it too. 

We took our own jolly time trying not to stress the motorbike too much, since if it happened to fail it would be catastrophic to our fun. We reached Madikeri and had a nice hot lunch and then moved to our destination.
The road after Madikeri was pretty good except for the speed bumps which seemed to pop up with no warning repeatedly. We reached Mysore by 1600hrs and went straight to my cousins. The road took its toll on our butts, so happily slumped into the soft beds after a nice shower. That night we planned where we would visit,
1. Mysore Zoo, http://mysorezoo.info
2. Chamundi hills, open all year round
3. Mysore palace, http://www.mysorepalace.gov.in 
4. Railway museum
5. Sri rangapatnam
6. Karanji lake
7. Brindavan garden
8. St. Philomena's church
9. Golden temple (this is on the way from Madikeri at a place called Kushalnagar)


This is probably the most boring post yet,so I'm not gonna bore you too much.... try to enjoy!

Here's the tourism dept. link, everything you need to know will be found here http://www.mysore.nic.in/tourism.htm
The way to the creek

Add caption


This is me, not realizin my mobile phone is still in my pocket

This is me saying farewell to my phone and all my contacts

View from Raja's seat Madikeri




St.Philomena's church


Mysore Palace


View from atop Chamundi hills


Indian Gaur ( bison) wouldn't want to be cornered with this guy

Jonathan, in the zoo... he he

White rhino


I can't brain today, I gots the dumb....

KRS dam and Brindavan gardens
KRS dam
Musical fountain, it has potential to be real cool but to me it sucked
My cousins, from left: Sajan, aunty Jessy, Jithin, my friend Jonathan
Golden temple at Kushalnagar
Our ride the mighty Fiero, I call her Suzy. She did not fail us

Railway Museum























No comments:

Post a Comment